We have assisted people to access their information, find their families, connect and nurture these relationships, and make sense of and heal from the grief, loss and trauma relating to their adoption experience. We understand adoption and its wide spread impacts and the people we support are the heart of our work.
At the Benevolent Society we have two teams who are here to support individuals and families affected by adoption;
- Post Adoption Resource Centre NSW (PARC)
- Post Adoption Support Queensland (PASQ)
Our post adoption support for individuals, couples and families includes:
- Specialised counselling to address issues such as grief, loss, identity, relationships and the impacts of trauma for individuals, couples and families.
- Information on finding out about an adoption and searching for an adopted person, parent or sibling
- Intermediary services for anyone who needs support or assistance to contact birth relatives on their behalf
- Help to respond if a birth relative wants to make contact with you
- Family records and search advice, information and guidance
- Referrals to government agencies and specialist adoption services that can help find the information you need
Please read the Apology for Past Forced Adoption Practices made in 2011 and the Scarba House History and Apology made in 2004.
You can also read about The Benevolent Society Redress Scheme here.