Music Therapy is available through The Benevolent Society to people living in South Australia. Here’s some information to help you understand what this type of therapy is and who can benefit most from it.
What is Music Therapy?
Music Therapy is an evidence based, allied health profession wherein a registered music therapist actively supports people to improve their health, functioning and overall well-being using music, elements of music and various interventions. Music Therapists support people across the full age spectrum and address their physical, cognitive, social, and emotional needs. A music therapist works with individuals or groups and a typical session could involve music improvisation, song writing, playing instruments together, singing, dance and movement, music listening, or even learning to play an instrument and record a song.
Who can get Music Therapy support?
Music Therapy can help address and support needs of people living with different challenges or just for those who want to improve their wellbeing. The Benevolent Society works with clients across the entire age spectrum right from newborn babies to people at later or end stages of their life.
The types of people who can benefit most from Music Therapy could be people living with;
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Eating disorders
- Brain and spinal cord injuries
- Physical and intellectual disabilities
- Neurological damage
- Chronic stress or pain
What are the benefits of Music Therapy?
The benefits of Music Therapy are vast and not limited to;
- Boosts overall mental health and wellbeing by reducing stress levels and anxiety, managing anger and frustration and boosting motivation. This also helps to improve memory and attention span.
- Improves speech, social skills and interaction which promotes independence and confidence to socialise. Also improves non-verbal communication and helps one to be creative and expressive
- Enhances gross and fine motor functions and control and regulates breathing, heart rate, improve respiratory muscles, improves sleep and reduces pain perception
- Promotes parent and child bonding
If you live in South Australia and would like to enquire or enrol in our Music Therapy sessions, call us on 1800 236 762.