- 12-month, Full time position based in Hurstville
- $86k - $92k inclusive of Super + Salary Packaging
- Flexible Work Arrangements available
We are Australia’s first charity, providing a range of Disability, Child, Youth and Family and Aged Care services across New South Wales, Queensland and South Australia. We are an independent, non-religious service provider which supports people to live life their way. Our vision is for a just society where all Australians can live their best life. We use our practice wisdom to mobilise social movements that advocate for anyone in need and create social change.
About the role
As our Counsellor, you will provide high quality counselling services to carers accessing support through our Carer Gateway Program. Following assessment it may be identified that a carer would benefit from counselling in order to improve their quality of life while continuing in their caring role. The Counsellor will provide therapeutic interventions and strategies to enable carers to feel less stressed, more empowered and to gain a better balance in life. This position will use strengths based and person centered frameworks with the aim to reach self-understanding and begin to make some positive changes in the carer’s life.
- Provide therapeutic intervention and support to carers over the phone, in person, or via other technological means.
- Undertake assessments to identify effective counselling intervention and support.
- Provide information, referral and advocacy to support carers to access appropriate resources and services, both within The Benevolent Society and with external agencies and service providers.
- Engage carers using appropriate strengths based framework and risk minimisation processes.
We support people to live their best life. That includes you, our employee. A ‘best life’ is unique to everyone and can change as life changes. Here are a few things you might be interested in:
- Salary Benefits - You can package up to $15,900 pa of you pre-tax salary to pay for everyday expenses before income tax is calculated, meaning you take home even more pay!
- Motor Vehicle Packaging Options – to suit your lifestyle.
- Work/Life Balance - Flexible work arrangements including hybrid home/office work arrangements, 1 accrued day off a month for full time employees.
- Recognition and Reward – Sector competitive remuneration, various recognition programs and access to long service leave after 5 years
- Wellness - Fitness passport + Employee Assistance Program + opportunity to purchase additional leave.
- Professional development – We tailor career development opportunities to all employees and volunteers for career enrichment, fulfilment, and growth
Skills and Experience
- A minimum of a current Australian Counselling Association accreditation Level 2; or a Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia Provisional Accreditation; or an Australian Association of Social Workers accreditation – ordinary member
- At least 18 months’ experience providing counselling services
- Graduate qualifications in counselling would support success
- Knowledge of wrap around and referral services available
- Excellent understanding of carers issues and how these impact on quality of life
- Ability to quickly and effectively evaluate the needs of a client who may be in crisis and identify potential referrals that may meet their needs
Contact Nikki Allwood 0481 106 064 for a friendly confidential discussion today
The Benevolent Society respects and promotes human rights and diversity and is committed to building an inclusive culture. We welcome diversity in all its forms; applications from underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged. We value relationships with our local Aboriginal community and welcome applications from its members. We see ability not disability, if you identify as a person with a different ability, please get in contact to let us know how we can accommodate your needs. We pride ourselves on being a client and child safe organisation and as such all our staff and volunteers go through security screening relevant to the role.