We believe building stronger communities is one of the best ways to reduce social and economic disadvantage. Community development is about helping people find solutions to issues within their own communities. Our community projects all look different as they are guided by each local community. We always work in partnership with residents, government and non-government organisations and build on what is already in the community.
Building child friendly communities
Our Communities for Children programs are working in three NSW communities to support young families, create child friendly communities and reduce disadvantage. Some of the many initiatives we have helped develop are:
- a child-friendly café in Campbelltown
- a Young Black and Ready for School Health Screening Day in Wyong
- 'Street Treats' street-based playgroups for children aged up to five years old around Campbelltown.
Our Village Hub on the NSW Central Coast is another way we're helping families and communities become more engaged and connected. The Hub is a gathering place where people can find out about and get involved in a wide range of community activities, programs, services and events.
Connecting people and neighbourhoods
We are working with communities in southwest Sydney to bridge cultural and generational gaps, improve employment opportunities and empower residents to get more involved locally. Some of the activities we've developed are:
- Taste Food Tours, a range of walking tours, bus tours, progressive dinners and cooking classes where participants accompany a local community guide to learn about different food cultures and traditions
- Wheel Works, a bike, scooter and skateboard building project for young people in Greenacre
- Engaging Dads, which strengthens relationships between children and their fathers through informal Kids and Dads evening sessions.
Our community resources help people in the community help themselves. They include:
- a range of information sheets and guides for people affected by adoption
- a free resource kit for women living with domestic violence
- practice resources for professionals
- a guide to later-life decision making.
We also run financial management programs to help people make informed decisions about money, including Saver Plus, which helps people save for their own or their children's education.
Browse our services to find one that's right for you.
Research shows that acting early gets the best results.
Sahar is a Taste Food Tour guide. Taste Food Tours use the common language of food to bring people together.Play Video