The Benevolent Society’s Workplace Giving program provides you with an opportunity to make a positive difference in other people’s lives.
We offer a number of options to suit you and your workplace:
Your company can also improve the wellbeing of Australian communities by matching employee contributions.
Payroll Giving is easy to set up, flexible and provides reliable financial support directly to our services. Through payroll giving you can help us make a lasting difference. Your donations can help strengthen families through parenting support groups and improve children’s health and education through early childhood programs, playgroups and home visiting.
To find out more download our Payroll Giving brochure or contact us.
What some of our Payroll Giving income did in the last year
- Payroll Giving income helped keep our mobile playgroup, Wheely Good Fun, running. Wheely is a free, two hour session for children aged 0 -5 years old and their carers. It offers a wonderful opportunity for families to develop new social and support networks. The families involved are identified as vulnerable, with children who have experienced abuse or neglect.
- Payroll Giving allowed us to purchase much needed books for our programs. Books give parents an opportunity to have important one on one time with their children; they stimulate and enhance language development and they give children dealing with so many issues an opportunity to escape their day to day lives.
- Payroll Giving helped us provide groceries for families doing it tough.
Payroll Giving basics
Payroll giving is where employees donate to charity through regular payroll deductions. Employees nominate the amount they wish to contribute from each pay, and donations are made from pre-tax dollars. Employers can match employee donations, adding even greater support to the program.
How it works
|Monthly Payroll Donation
||Monthly Tax Saving*
||Actual Monthly Cost
||What this means
||Charity receives $20.
The actual cost to the employee is $13.60
||Charity receives $40.
The actual cost to the employee is $27.20
||Charity receives $100. The actual cost to the employee is $68
*Based on Australian marginal tax rate of 32% for taxable income of $37,001-$80,000.
The multiplier effect
40 employees donating $10 per month = $9,600 per year.
Employer matches donations = a total gift of $19,200 per year.
Benefits for employees:
- Donations are tax effective
- Involvement with their community
- Confidence that donations make a difference
Benefits for employers:
- Puts corporate social responsibility and values into action
- Strengthens employee recruitment, loyalty and retention levels
- Requires minimal work from payroll administration and is cost effective
How we can help you introduce Payroll Giving
- Run an introduction session for HR/Payroll
- Give an overview presentation to employees, including first hand experience of our programs
- Provide all information and promotional material
- Provide regular updates on where your income is making a difference
- Invite employees for wider engagement with The Benevolent Society
To find out more download our Payroll Giving brochure or contact us.
Staff volunteering is a great way to boost employee morale and encourage employee engagement all while giving back to the community. The Benevolent Society has a wide range of volunteering opportunities for corporate teams.
“Volunteering with The Benevolent Society enables individuals like myself to feel that my work can make a difference.” Goldman Sachs volunteer, May 2012
The Benevolent Society has been offering a corporate volunteering program for over five years.
The success of the program largely relies on finding mutual benefit for your company and our programs.
We hope that at the end of a corporate volunteer day both the volunteers and the program staff feel good about the work that has been achieved and there is a direct benefit to the clients we work with.
We genuinely appreciate the time and support our corporate volunteers offer and understand you are taking time out from your busy working lives to give back to your community.
Volunteering days give teams the opportunity to participate in a variety of hands-on activities directly with the people we help. This can include supporting our aged care clients, our children, or our families.
- Social activities like Christmas parties, barbecues and other celebrations
- Working bees such as gardening days or spring cleans
- Art and craft groups with kids
- Reading to children
- School holiday activities
Or you can also support our clients with a volunteer day that works for you but may not have client interaction:
- Christmas wrapping and hamper packing days
- Hamper packing team building opportunities – either at your office or at ours
- Book covering days – either at your office or at ours
- Knitting groups supporting our clients
Assist us in giving children a well deserved day of fun. Volunteers help us ensure children have a safe and fun day out.
Outings can include:
- Taronga Zoo
- Luna Park
- Local sporting areas
- Movie days
- Fishing trips
Skilled volunteering days
Skilled volunteering gives individuals the opportunity to share their knowledge and experience by guiding a class or activity with a small group.
Possible activities include:
- Photography – provide pointers on how to take creative photos
- Acting – teach kids performance skills to help build confidence
- Make-up and skincare – teach makeup and skin care basics
- Sewing – lend your knowledge of the needle and thread
To find out more about Staff Volunteering please contact us.
We welcome fundraising from any activities that you can think of! Some ideas include:
- Baking cakes and selling them at work
- Having a mufti day with a gold coin donation
- Running in the City to Surf or other sporting endeavour
- Choosing The Benevolent Society as your Charity of the Year/Month/Week/Day
- Having a morning or afternoon tea for a gold coin donation
- Organising an in-house book drive with good quality second-hand books donated for ages 0 to 10
- Being part of our Gifts for Good campaign
To find out more about Fundraising on our Behalf or to register your day with us contact us. We can send you a Fundraising Day Pack to add colour to your fundraising initiative.
Gifts for Good, our yearly Toy & Gift Appeal at Christmas time, ensures that the children who use our services receive a gift at Christmas. Toys and gifts of food are needed for many disadvantaged families over this time as money is often tight so the support from you and your fellow staff members helps us help others.
Last year we were able to give children over 1,500 gifts and we also had over 150 hampers to help families over the Christmas period. We would love to do more and with your help we can achieve that.
You can show your interest in taking part in Gifts for Good by contacting us. We can send you information on how your company can get involved this year.
You can make a difference!
We want all children to be optimistic about their future and reach their full potential.
Thank you for considering Workplace Giving with The Benevolent Society.
Please contact us for more information on how you can help disadvantaged families, children and older people have a happier and brighter future and help them get back on their feet.
Discover more reasons why you should partner with us.
Peter Kingston trekked 250km across the Sahara to raise over $100,000 for us.
Get in Touch
If you are interested in becoming a corporate partner or would like more information, please call 02 8262 3400Or send us an email